Notable results from Week 6: Athens Christian topples top-ranked Commerce
GHSF Daily’s Chip Saye ranks the most surprising and notable games of the weekend:
1. Athens Christian 21, Commerce 14:Athens Christian knocked off the No. 1 team in Class A (public) and took a lot of the shine off this week’s Commerce-Prince Avenue Christian contest that had all the looks of a region championship game. Athens Christian (2-2) was 0-18 against ranked teams and 0-2 against No. 1s since joining the GHSA in 2000.
2. Rockdale County 14, Southwest DeKalb 13:Rockdale County was the computer Maxwell Ratings’ biggest underdog to win in Week 6, as Southwest DeKalb was favored by 21. The Bulldogs (2-3) picked up a much-needed victory as they head into 8-AAAAAAA play this week against Grayson. Southwest DeKalb has lost three straight after a 2-0 start.
3. Effingham County 28, Burke County 21:Effingham County won its third consecutive game, but first against a team that wasn’t winless, when it beat the No. 7 team in Class AAAA. Burke County, which was an 11-point favorite, took its first loss of the season. Effingham County had beaten South Effingham and Statesboro (both 0-5) the past two weeks.
4. Colquitt County 45, Valdosta 24:Colquitt County erased any doubts that it was a top 10 team despite its 1-4 record with this victory against the No. 3 team in Class AAAAAA. Valdosta was 5-0, with lopsided wins against two teams in Colquitt County’s four-team region – 38-13 over seventh-ranked Lowndes and 42-13 against Tift County.
5. Pope 48, North Atlanta 7:Pope snapped a 16-game losing streak that was the longest in school history with this victory in a 7-AAAAAA game. During the streak, the Greyhounds scored more than 21 points only twice and gave up at least 40 points 10 times. Pope was favored by nine points but had a much easier time against 1-4 North Atlanta.
Also of note: Calhoun County snapped a 14-game losing streak with a 22-6 victory against a Stewart County team that broke its own 32-game losing streak earlier this month. Calhoun County went 8-4 and reached the state quarterfinals in 2014. …Greenbrierimproved to 5-0 for the first time since 1997 with a 35-7 victory over Cross Creek. The Wolfpack, which went 2-8 last season and 6-34 the past four years, has next weekend off before opening region play in 3-AAAAAA. … Islandspicked up the first region win in the program’s three-year history when it beat Johnson of Savannah 35-6. The victory also was the first of the season for the Sharks, who are 3-22 all-time and came in as 13-point underdogs. … Turner County‘s 39-31 victory over Charlton County dropped the Indians to 1-3 for the first time since 1985. This is only the fifth time that Charlton has lost three regular-season games in Rich McWhorter’s 27 seasons as head coach. … Windsor Forest is 3-1 for the first time since 2006 after a 47-40 victory over Groves. The Knights, who were 1-9 in 2015 and 2-38 the past four seasons, have their first three-game winning streak since 2011. They are 2-0 in Region 3-AAA.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.