Friday night recap: Week 6
The winner of AA’s Region 2 was most likely determined on Friday, with the No. 2 Benedictine Cadets topping the No. 9 Vidalia Indians27-6 in Savannah. It’s a solid win for the Cadets (5-0, 2-0), who are on their way to consecutive undefeated regular seasons. In fact, it’s the Indians (3-2, 1-1) who represent Benedicine’s last regular season loss, 35-28 on Oct. 17, 2014. Unfortunately for them, it’s 2016 and they’ve probably lost their spot in the rankings with the three-score loss, though that’s yet to be determined.
There’s one team that made a strong case to return to the rankings should Vidalia drop out, and that’s the Heard County Braves (5-1, 1-0). They trounced AA’s only undefeated team that wasn’t ranked – the Temple Tigers (4-1, 0-1) – with a 41-0 win in their Region 5 opener. And that was Fox 5’s Game of the Week – yikes.
Remember, the Braves entered the season as a ranked team but dropped out after barely beating South Atlanta in Week 1. The Braves’ win on Friday sets them up nicely for their next matchup on the road at No. 5 Callaway. That game takes place on Oct. 13, after Heard County’s bye.
Speaking of the Callaway Cavaliers, they beat AAAAA’s Harris County 48-21. The Cavs continue to dominate the competition with averages of 37.8 points for and 13.8 against.
And that was the theme for AA’s ranked teams this week, with the exception of Vidalia: a double-digit victory.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 fared:
- No. 1 Fitzgerald beat Smiths Station (Alabama) 41-7 to improve to 4-0.
- No. 3 Brooks County beat AAA’s Monroe 26-6 and are now 4-0.
- No. 4 Jefferson County pitched a 48-0 shutout over Westside-Augusta in Region 4 play. They’re 5-0 (2-0).
- No. 6 Rabun County is now 3-0 after beating AAAA’s West Hall 34-10.
- The No. 7 Model Blue Devils continue to play with a chip on their shoulder by beating Armuchee 42-7 in Region 7 action, improving to 5-0 (2-0).
- No. 8 Dublin is now 5-0 after beating East Laurens 42-0 in its Region 3 opener.
- No. 10 Screven County handled Laney 31-18 in in Region 4 play and is now 4-1 (2-0).
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.