Friday night recap: Week 10
This week featured by some high profile matchups involving ranked AA teams, and both of those games came with huge playoff implications.
The No. 2 Fitzgerald Purple Hurricane all but locked up Region 1 with its 40-7 win over the No. 6 Brooks County Trojans. It was a game that was at least expected to be competitive, but the Trojans have been without key players to injury and have mostly struggled to regain a consistent title-contending form.
Because the loss was so lopsided, it’s very possible the Trojans (6-2, 2-2) drop out of the top 10. Fitzgerald (7-1, 3-0), on the other hand, looks poised to make another deep playoff run after last year’s state runner-up finish.
Another game with the region on the line took place in Region 8, where the No. 5 Rabun Wildcats topped the Elbert County Blue Devils 42-10. The win has the Wildcats (7-0, 3-0) locked into first place, while the Blue Devils fell to 6-2 and 3-1.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 fared:
- Top-rankedBenedictine beat Bacon County 65-7 and are now 8-0 and 5-0 in Region 2.
- In Region 5, No. 4 Callaway topped Temple 35-10 and are now 8-0 and 3-0.
- No. 7 Vidalia earned a 35-0 shutout over Swainsboro in Region 2 to improve to 6-2 and 3-1.
- No. 9 Pepperrell beat Dade County 49-7 to move to 6-1 and 4-0 in Region 7.
- No. 8 Screven County beat Josey 46-0 and are now 7-1 and 4-0 in Region 4.
- No. 10 Heard County beat Jordan 41-20 and are now 6-2 and 2-1 in Region 5.
On bye: No. 3 Jefferson County
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.